I suggest you ...

Remove the "Rate our app" prompt from the iOS app

Remove the "Rate our app" prompt from the iOS app

I love Logos. I really do. Thousands of dollars have left my bank account and supported your product. I just spent more money today. I love this company. But no, I'm not going to "rate your app". Why? Because the way it's asked disrupts my use of the app, the very thing I have paid thousands of dollars for over the years. And I think the solicited responses are unethical.

Just a few moments ago, I opened the app to look up a verse I needed quickly. I was immediately presented with a dialog that asked me a question, "Do you like our app?" (or something to that effect). The only answers to the question were "Yes" and "No". "Yes" takes you to the App Store to rate the app, "No" took me to a form that I could submit feedback. On this surface this might seem okay. But from a design, and more important, ethical point of view I find this very, very wrong. Here's why:

1. The app is designed, very well I might add, to find resources quickly. That's really the only use I have on the iPhone for it. I need something, I search for it, I use it. Easy.

Except when the system decides that pumping its reputation is more important than what the user needs at that moment. A system should never dictate terms of interaction that override the key use case, unless it is critical to the system itself (i.e. rescuing from an error).

2. This is made worse by the fact that there is no cancel button. With either choice, you then force my next action. This is a major interruption of workflow. It's a terrible user experience that prioritizes the need of the developer over the needs of the user. It's fundamentally bad design.

3. Which brings me to my ethical objection. You direct people who presumably want to rate the app highly to the App Store, where their response will improve your reputation, leading to more downloads, and more business. Although I don't like this, and in my software I would never do it, this is somewhat accepted in the iOS community.

But, the "No" response directs the user to a private feedback form. No publication of that negative response. This is plainly manipulative in it's attempt to garner praise. You are not asking the question, "Do you want to rate our app?" evenly to all. Instead you are self-selecting good results and suppressing poor ones.

Like I said, I love this company, but this approach to driving your App Store ratings has really hurt my opinion of your decision-making. You serve the user so well, and in so many ways. But this design decision prioritizes your needs over the user. That's not good for the interaction, for the user, and I think in the long run, for Logos.

16 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Brian Lundin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joe Ann Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm studying the Word of God and don't appreciate my train of thought being interrupted by such self-serving pop ups. Stop it!

Feedback and Knowledge Base