I suggest you ...

Time to make Logos a full featured mobile application

The increasing power of mobile devices means the gap between mobile and desktop devices is diminishing rapidly. It's time to make a full featured Logos mobile application with the same feature set as the desktop application. The demand is there and it would be a game changer!!!

275 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Simon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminMobile Development (software, Logos) responded  · 

The Faithlife mobile apps are not intended to replace the Logos Desktop app, and there is a huge performance gap between mobile and desktop hardware – orders of magnitude different.

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You need to at least make it competitive with the other apps out there for these devices. I really love the PC version of Logos, but the iPad app is a step backward from the OliveTree and Laridian. Okay, so maybe some of the features should not be implemented, but at least more that 2 windows and the complete Logos 8 Notes capability. STOP MAKING EXCUSES and just do it!

The mobile development comment is no longer true. With the advent of the A12X chip, the iPad is now more powerful than most intel based laptops.

• David Starchman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First, I am very thankful for the Logos mobile apps. I use them near constantly. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Having said that, as many have pointed out, the power of mobile devices has skyrocketed with companies like Adobe announcing full-featured versions of power-hungry applications like Photoshop on iPads, etc. Apple just announced a new monster iPad pro. Please look at this new segment of devices and consider that "mobile" comprises much more than a cell phone. I realize y'all are PC-centric (consider that the Preferences dialog box on the new Logos 8 for Mac includes "Windows Default" as an option for the Resource Panel Background), but there really is a bright future for apps like Logos on iPad, Surface, etc. I'm really hoping that there's focus not merely on feature parity with the desktop app, but platform focus for tablets. An iPad or even a Surface running a tablet-focused version of Logos. WIN! Touch-capable Canvas tool? Yes, please! A Clippings interface that's more touch savvy? Yes, yes, yes. Pen support? <havin' myself a shout>

• Thomas H. Vidal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are clearly many things that are more suited to a desktop experience, some of those things just have to do with the size of the screen you are working with. But many of us--myself included--use our iPads as a primary device and having access to more of the features of Logos desktop on iOS would be ideal. I'd happily make a list but others have done a pretty good job of identifying them. I will add this, though: on the 12.9" iPad Pro, it would be ideal for Logos to adopt a simplified Layouts model. I could easily see four quarter panels displayed in horizontal orientation, or a tools pallet, etc. There is a lot of wasted space that could be used to great effect. Please note: my vote on this request should not be viewed as a criticism of the mobile apps on iOS as they exist. These are great apps and I use them to good effect. I'd be delighted if there were even more that I could do. Thanks for considering this.

• Ben McGhee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recent benchmark scores indicate the 2017 iPad Pros out perform some of the 2016 MacBook Air models. The 4GB of RAM and 256-512GB storage make it more than capable.

• Diederick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree on the performance gap. iPad Pro is currently align with most desktop specifications, if not better.

I use my iPad almost exclusively and think it's important for the iPad app to include more functionality. I wholeheartedly agree that this should be a continual process to increase the functionality of the iPad app.

• Andrew B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The app for Android is pretty slow compared to most bible apps. More offline features. Smooth scrolling. Kindle like reading.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know that a full re-write of the app is necessary. But Prayer list and Passage list would be awesome. In particular the prayer list. I don't use the logos one because I don't necessarily pray at my computer. Though I spend a LOT of time there. :) I maintain my prayer list in OneNote, but would love to use the Logos Prayer list if I could have it mobile.

Thank you for your consideration.

• Anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see the ability to do these things on the mobile app:
        1. to create links to bible passages in user notes
        2. passage lists
        3. prayer lists
        4. clippings
        5. reverse interlinear

• Ilian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate
      • Sakarías Ingólfsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am really against this kind of reworking - at least in a certain perspective. Basically I am against having the mobile app doing all the same heavy lifting as the desktop app does. I do not want my entire library on my mobile device, and I definitely do not want a big index there. The desktop app is already limited to those with highly advanced computer systems. Let's not get that situation on the mobile as well.

• Jim Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This must be a difficult and intense discussion in the planning sessions at Logos. How much do you put into what will always be a small screen enviroment? My preference is to do my sermon prep on my 26" screen in my home office, my 17" sceen on my laptop at work is suffice, barley, but rarely do I grab by daughters 11" ipad or my wife's 9" (?) iPad Mini for serious work and my 6" CP is causual reading only. An app is just an app.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this emphatically - indeed, in my opinion, Logos should have a free iOS app and a PAID app with more functionality.

While it's true the post doesn't offer an "actionable" game plan, the point is a very, very good one. Computers will more and more disappear into more flexible devices. Logos should be ahead of the curve on this.

• Mitchell Ebbott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not to be too negative, but this is not a feature request, it's a request for a total reworking of the mobile app. A great as it would be, it's not something actionable. Your votes would be put to better use asking for specific features from the desktop app that would be useful on mobile, rather than asking for the entire package all at once.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base